Monday, June 6, 2011

Setting up Pentaho Community Edition Java prerequisite

In the previous step, I skipped putting in Tomcat because it simply does not play nice with the included Tomcat that Pentaho ships with. I noticed in my google searches that somebody else had relatively recently (2009) tried to set up a Pentaho appliance. It obviously never got to the stage of being listed in the VMWare appliance list but I'm going to use it as a starting point for my own work.

So here's the stuff I actually did to get java rolling
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
# This adds the add-apt-repository command
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ lucid partner"
# actually add the repository
sudo apt-get update
#update apt-get so that it knows where to find Sun's java
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-jre
# install java 6 JRE and JDK
sudo vi ~/.bashrc
#edit your bash rc file
export JAVA_HOME=/usr
#add this to the end of the file

logout, log back in and echo $JAVA_HOME to make sure that /usr is listed as the java home directory

Now it's time to get Pentaho downloaded

1 comment:

  1. The Debian package manager is pretty sweet isn't it.

    I used Debian for about a year before I went back to my original home Slackware.

    I have set up many Ubuntu machines for many people but I don't like it much.

    ReplyDelete